When I think of cake, I think of multiple layers of sponge sandwiched together with dollops of rich, creamy icing. I like a little cake with my frosting, so I don’t usually make a simple, naked, loaf cake but when a friend posted this recipe on Facebook I knew I had to try it
This lovely little cake requires only basic store cupboard ingredients and just one apple. I used a Golden Delicious apple but any variety will do.
The batter comes together in next to no time and there’s no fussing with frosting! (I can’t believe I typed that!)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Beat white sugar and butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated; add vanilla extract.
- Combine flour and baking powder together in a bowl; stir into creamed butter mixture. Mix milk into batter until smooth. Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the apples and half the brown sugar mixture. Lightly pat apple mixture into batter. Pour the remaining batter over apple layer; top with remaining apples and brown sugar mixture. Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using a finger or spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.